Excercise to design a robust process
- You are a carpenter, manufacturing windows and wooden door frames.
- Customers tend to shop around and ask price-quotations at many different competitors. Making price-calculations is a time consuming job.
- You decide to make a quotation-module on the internet: The customer answers the questions you would normally ask him, and gets his quotation a quickest possible way.
- Any frame will get a quotation! Square, rectangular, unequal shapes, with or without turning windows… As long as they are made of wood!
Basically the manufacturing process consists of:
- Making wooden profiles
- Making joints (a simple window is 4 profiles and 4 joints)
- Apply rotating- and locking mechanisms
What are the parameters you will have to question the customer upon?
How does the process to finally calculate the correct price look like?
Make a solid Process Structure Diagram.
To give you some idea about similar situations in real life, look at those two examples (that do not handle any situation!)